2022 Community Trust Update
Glenorchy Village Fair
Glenorchy Village Fair – Art on The Green – was one of three successful grant applicants in October 2019’s round of fund allocations.
The funds for this Glenorchy Rural Women’s annual event helped provide advertising and live entertainment on the day (24 November 2019).
The Glenorchy Village Fair has been running since 2013 and offers community groups and individuals an opportunity to promote their wares. Both visitors and locals are invited to spend the day sampling local produce and enjoy live music by the GY Music Society.
Ingrid Temple, founder and co-ordinator, said: “It’s always a great day for us to get together, hang out the bunting and have some fun. We started this event to create a family friendly, creative day that the whole community could turn out to take part in, and this year we had 14 stallholders selling their artworks, produce or fundraising for their local group. Glenorchy is full of creative energy and the Village Fair gives them a platform to showcase their creativity!”
Camp Glenorchy also donated two marquees, providing much-needed shelter from the wind and sun, and Mrs Woolly’s General Store provided tasty treats for sale at the Rural Women’s baked stall.
Trustees were happy to announce three successful applicants in this Spring’s grant allocations – October 2019.
* Glenorchy Village Fair
* The Glenorchy Gym Club
* The GY Art Society
Young Gymnasts Are Given a Boost
Glenorchy School Gym Club were one of the four successful grant applicants to receive funding toward their new gym mats in March 2019.
All pupils aged between 5 – 13 years are able to join the gymnastics club and the new mats are an integral part of their development and safety.
Glenorchy Community Website
Glenorchy Community Website committee members were delighted to be among the successful recipients of last March’s Community Trust grants allocations.
The Glenorchy Community website www.glenorchycommunity.co.nz was launched in 2011 to provide current Head of the Lake news to both community members and others interested in the area.
The website has undergone a number of face-lifts since then to keep the platform current and the Website Committee will use the money provided by the Community Trust on staff training so they can keep the site fresh and informative.
Glenorchy Heritage & Museum
The Glenorchy Heritage and Museum Group were delighted to be a recipient of a Community Grant.
We’re using our grant to develop two historic outposts — one out at Kinloch and the other near the aerodrome where we’ll tell the story of the Glenorchy Road.
The very first ‘turning of the sod’ took place at that site in March 1956 and six years later at the Glenorchy Centennial, the road opened for the first time in November 1962.
The Community Grant has allowed us to have historic panels printed and to pay for help in creating the outposts themselves (which will be made from local salvaged historic materials). We’re excited to be bringing GY’s history back to the community and our visitors in a new way.
Photo: Tom Bryant, who owned Kinloch, turning the first sod for the Glenorchy Road March 1956. Below, Norrie Groves beginning the Glenorchy Road.